Limerock Inn
 

The Towns of the
Penobscot Bay Region

The Penobscot Bay Region of Mid-Coast Maine is comprised of many small villages, towns and cities each with their own personalities. What they all share in common is the beautiful natural resources, unique shops and attractions and very friendly people. We hope you enjoy visiting many of them while staying in the area.

Learn more about our communities here:

Appleton

Inland from Camden and Hope, Appleton was incorporated in 1829 from the former Appleton Plantation and expanded its boundaries from adjacent Hope in 1843. population 1300.

The town has a thriving Village School, and is part of the Five Town Community School District. The Village School of the early 1900s has become the Town Hall, and next to it is the Appleton Volunteer Fire Department. In time, the village of McLain's Mills became Appleton Village, on Route 131, the Belfast to Union Road. 

Forest products and wild Maine blueberries are the principal agricultural products today, with a lavender farm and a creamery producing goat cheese. The Bartlett Farm has become the WestAppleton Country Club. There are a surprising number of highly skilled artisans and visual artists in town, as well as writers, musicians and woodworkers. Sennebec Pond, a lake on the St. Georges River, spreads across the boundary of Appleton and Union, and is a recreational and scenic resource for both towns. Appleton Ridge Road offers long views of Sennebec Pond and many rock walls created during the area's days when farming and lumbering were major industries.
 

.

 

Camden

Voted the prettiest harbor in Maine in 2009, Camden harbor's mix of working and pleasure craft includes a fleet of windjammer schooners, which began operating tourist cruises in 1936. Two-hour daytrips and three- to five-day live-aboard cruises depart from the Public Landing. Camden and adjacent Rockport harbor moorings also welcome small and large private vesels, drawn by deep water, a well-stocked port, and several boatbuilders, marinas, and storage and repair facilities. Each September, a family-friendly Windjammer Festival keeps the area's maritime traditions alive through schooner open houses, lobster crate races, a chowder cook-off, marine crafts demonstrations, and free live entertainment.

For more insight into this area's history, pick up the Historic Downtown Camden walking-tour map, identifying buildings that began as boathouses, woolen mills, ship captain's homes, and the former theater where  "Peyton Place", filmed here in 1956, had its world premiere. In July and August, the Camden-Rockport Historical Society opens its 18th-century Conway Homestead and Cramer Museum.

Linger a while on the shady Village Green and view a classic New England scene: church spire, post office, and shopping bustle. Stroll to Harbor Park and its Amphitheatre, sit on the seawall to watch the harbor traffic and the Megunticook River waterfall, explore the gardens and trails at 66-acre Merryspring Nature Center, or wind along Bay View Street and Beauchamp Point, where shore views peek in and out, passing rambling cottages built by summer folk from Boston, New York, and Philadelphia during the age of steamboat travel.

This scenic coastline nestles into the Camden Hills, among them Mount Battie, part of Camden Hills State Park. From its 790-foot summit, reached by 26 miles of hiking trails and an auto road, the panorama stretches from Rockland and its islands to the Blue Hill peninsula. Camden resident and Pulizer Prize-winner Edna St. Vincent Millay immortalized this vista in her 1912 poem "Renascence": "All I could see from where I stood was three long mountains and a wood. I turned and looked the other way and saw three islands in a bay." On the shore side of U.S. Route 1, the park contains hiking trails and picnic areas.

Facing inland, Mount Battie's stone tower offers dramatic views to Lake Megunticook--popular for summer boating, fishing, and swimming--and Ragged Mountain, site of the Camden Snow Bowl. This four-season recreation area offers tennis, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, and February's annual national toboggan championships.

Shops in Camden's compact downtown offer clothing, jewelry, gifts, art supplies, toys, home furnishings, and more--all within walking distance of the harbor, dining, and lodging. Many authors, musicians, and artists call this area home, so there are several bookstores and galleries, as well as the HarborArts show in July and October.

Cushing

 Cushing, situated on its own peninsula southwest of Thomaston, is famous for its saltwater farms and is at the heart of Maine's "Wyeth Country." The Olson House—immortalized by Andrew Wyeth's paintings of the structure and its occupants, Christina and Alvaro Olson—is a widely recognized icon of the region. Another attraction is the Cushing Historical Society Museum on Hathorn Point Road. Cushing is primarily a rural residential community with few commercial enterprises. There's a general store, a few B & Bs, and seasonal cottage/vacation rentals. To reach Cushing, take Wadsworth Street from U.S. Route 1 in Thomaston at the Maine State Prison Showroom Store. It may also be reached from Route 97 in Warren.

Friendship

Friendship is predominantly a fishing village whose major industry is lobstering and associated enterprises. Located west of Cushing on the same peninsula, Friendship the birthplace of the distinctive Friendship Sloop. Originally used as a fishing boat, the Friendship Sloop is now prized for recreational sailing. The Friendship Museum displays historical information on this unique vessel, as well as local historical artifacts. The Nelson Nature Preserve, on Route 97 just north of the village, has five miles of public hiking trails. Friendship has a few retail establishments, but dining facilities are limited. Visitor accommodations include bed & breakfast lodging places and seasonal cottage/vacation rentals.

Hope

 

The first Europeans settled in Hope in the 1780s, but Europeans had been frequenting the Maine coast for at least 180 years before that. Captain John Smith and others report on Hope's most important historical event -- the 1615-17 war in which the east Penobscot Bay Tarratines threw off the dominance of the Pemaquid Wawenocks. According to Hope tradition, the peace treaty by which these nations literally buried the hatchet took place on the northeast slope of Hatchet Mountain near Hope Corner. From this historic event, however, we should not over-estimate the Indian population of Hope. It probably averaged 10 in winter, when Indians camped here to hunt deer and bear, and zero in summer, when they left for the shore and its fish and shellfish. Despite their low numbers, the Indians thinned the forest primeval, burning it to increase the game population.

 

Incorporated in 1804, the Town of Hope, Maine is the fastest growing town in Knox County, located to the north of Camden and Rockport and to the east of Union. Hope now is a community of about 1200 people, 7 miles inland from Camden. Farm families specialize in dairy, poultry, apples, blueberries and Christmas trees. Hope Village and South Hope are the principal centers of business. 

 

Isle au Haut

Isle au Haut is a small, year-round unbridged island town in Knox County, Maine. Isle au Haut was first discovered by Europeans in 1604, when Samuel de Champlain named it "High Island." The town was incorporated in 1874, when it became independent from Deer Isle.

In addition to the town of Isle au Haut, approximately half of the island’s land belongs to Acadia National Park. Every year, thousands of day visitors venture out to the island to enjoy its hiking trails and beautiful scenery. The Isle au Haut Boat Company provides seasonal service to the Duck Harbor Landing, where hikers and campers can find a picnic area and lean-to’s, which are available for reservation through Acadia National Park.


Isleboro

Islesboro is a vibrant island community in Waldo County, Maine, located approximately three miles off the coast of Lincolnville in the Penobscot Bay. The name has evolved from Long Island to Islesborough eventually settling on Islesboro. The narrow, 14 mile long island was incorporated into the United States in the late 18th century after being settled by fishermen and farmers. In the late 1800s and early 1900s a summer colony was established by the wealthy. There are now over 600 year-round residents with amenities such as a state-of-the-art community center, health center and a newly renovated K-12 school.

 

Jefferson

Jefferson is a town in Lincoln County, incorporated on February 24, 1807, when Thomas Jefferson was President, from Ballstown Plantation. During the 19th Century, it set off land to Alna and Newcastle, and annexed land from Patricktown, later incorporated as Somerville. Abandoned granite quarries and clay banks where bricks were made suggest the early economic activities of the area.

Jefferson has many farms and abundant woodland, and is well-known for its lakes and ponds and fine fishing, camping and canoeing. Jefferson Village is at the head of Damariscotta Lake's Great Bay, one-half of Clary Lake is in Jefferson, with Dyer Long Pond and Deer Meadow Pond added for good measure. The Damariscotta Lake State Park is right in the village on Rte 32, and is one of the most enjoyable locations in the State for family picnics and swimming. Haskell Mountain, known recently for its old lookout tower, was originally the site of an early farming community settled back in the 1770s. In the 1930s, a federal Civilian Conservation Camp was in operation in town. Local residents and land trusts work to conserve the Town's natural resources and to maintain properties for recreational and low-impact uses. Organizations such as the Damariscotta Watershed Association, Hidden Valley Nature Center and Sheepscot Valley Conservation Association are active with public education, outdoor recreation and conservation.

 

Liberty

Liberty is a town in Waldo County with a population of about 900 people. It is the location of Lake St. George State park, where residents and visitors can enjoy swimming, boating, kayaking and fishing. In the village center see the old Octagonal Post Office, a historical site. 

Lincolnville

One of the smallest local towns in population but the largest in area, Lincolnville spans two settlements, each with its own personality and attractions. At broad Lincolnville Beach, sections of sand and pebbles (depending on the tide) draw visitors for play and relaxation. The shallow water is ideal for wading on a warm day. Also here, you can visit a cluster of shops and restaurants or hop the ferry to quiet Islesboro. Look for two cannons placed (but never used) to repel the British in the War of 1812. Drive inland to Lincolnville Center's rolling farmland, scenic ponds, and one of the area's three wineries.

Matinicus Isle

Located about 20 miles south of Rockland and the most remote of the inhabited year-round islands, Matinicus is an Indian name meaning alternatively "grassy islands" or "the place of the wild turkeys." Matinicus Harbor is one of the few in Maine that's home to almost exclusively working vessels. It's almost two miles long and one mile wide, with about 750 acres filled with hundreds of species of plants. The shores are rocky—the eastern shore being mostly granite—but there are two large beaches with beautiful fine graying-white sand, as well as numerous small pebble beaches. Matinicus has some cottage rentals and one bed & breakfast. The small village has a single post office. Staying at Matinicus Island is much like going back in time: arrivals and departures, comings and goings—indeed life itself moves at a pace set by wind, weather, and tides.

Monhegan

Monhegan is undoubtedly the most famous island in Maine, thanks in large measure to the art of George Bellows, Edward Hopper, Rockwell Kent, Jamie Wyeth, and many others who have been drawn to paint its dramatic cliffs—the highest on the New England coast. These artists are credited with popularizing the island, whose summer population is tenfold that of the winter. Located ten miles out to sea, Monhegan is 1.4 miles long and .7 miles wide. A wildlife sanctuary with more than 600 varieties of wildflowers and 200 species of birds—including peregrine falcons, ospreys, and northern harriers (marsh hawks)—and a peaceful stretch of spruce and moss called Cathedral Woods make Monhegan attractive to naturalists and hikers. Its 17 miles of trails and breathtaking walks, inns, shops, artists' colony, museum, swimming beach (for hardy souls who like cold ocean water), and lighthouse make this a trip worth taking.

North Haven

One of Maine's 14 unbridged island communities, North Haven lies in Penobscot Bay approximately twelve miles from the midcoast City of Rockland. It is served by a Maine Department of Transportation ferry making three round trips a day from Rockland. Its year-round population of 381 (2000 Census) swells in July and August with the return of families who own seasonal homes on the island.

Northport

Northport is a town in Waldo County, settled in 1780 and incorporated on February 13, 1796 from Ducktrap Plantation, though “Ducktrap Harbor,” which it shares with Lincolnville, retains the original name. Currently with a population of 1500. The historic Bayside village, a community primarily of closely spaced summer cottages, lies off U.S. Route 1 near East Northport, just south of Belfast. In addition to its long coastline facing Islesboro on Penobscot Bay, the town has frontage on the three-mile long Pitcher Pond and all of its Knight Pond.
 
 
 

Owls Head

Residential and scenic Owls Head, originally part of South Thomaston, became a town in 1921. Some say the name was coined by sailors who observed the tall headland and imagined a resemblance to the neck and head of an owl. Others claim the name was derived from the Native American word Mecadacut, meaning "owls head". Popular with photographers, Owls Head Light was built in 1825 as an entrance beacon to Rockland Harbor. Birch Point Beach State Park offes swimming and picnicking.

Rockland

Still rooted in its historic past, Rockland's downtown is a designated National Historic District, with vivid examples of Italianate, Greek Revival, and Colonial architecture. Here you'll find a small city experiencing a renaissance, anchored by the first-class Farnsworth Art Museum and the Wyeth Center. Home to a substantial collection of Wyeth family artworks, the Farnsworth is one of the finest regional art museums in the country, with a specialized collection focusing on Maine's role in American art. Today, Main Street is filled with boutique shops, galleries, and a delightful array of gourmet restaurants and quaint coffee shops. Rockland is the retail center of Mid-Coast Maine.

Rockland Harbor is home to more windjammers than any other port in the country. Over a dozen historic schooners sail these waters just as they did a century ago. Offering weeklong excursions as well as daytrips around the islands of Penobscot Bay, the sight of schooner sails on parade past the historic Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse is a vision to behold.

Rockland has been called the "Lobster Capital of the World"—both for its importance to the East Coat lobster industry and for the world famous Maine Lobster Festival, now in its 57th year. No trip here is complete without a Maine lobster dinner—fresh from local waters and easy on your wallet. The lobster boat fleet is an important part of the area's heritage and economy, and a scenic treasure as well. Rockland also boasts a thriving music scene, capped each year with the North Atlantic Blues Festival that fills the waterfront and downtown with the blues every July.

Shipbuilding, commercial fishing, granite quarrying, and lime kilns represent a major part of Rockland's economic history and have left a lasting mark on the area.

Rockport

Rockport's snug harbor celebrates boats and boatbuilding, and its Marine Park attractions feature historic lime kilns and a granite statue of Andre the Seal, whose heartwarming story and performance antics over 20+ years still delight children through books and a movie. Rockport's other notable animal residents are Aldermere Farm's Belted Galloway "Oreo cookie" cows, who graze in meadows along bucolic Russell Avenue. Visit the nearby Children's Chapel for its beautiful plantings and distant ocean views; this peaceful setting is also popular for outdoor weddings. Within the village and along Route 1, several shops, galleries, and restaurants complement the town's laid-back mood. Schooner daytrips and kayak rentals pass nearby Indian Island lighthouse.

Searsmont

Searsmont - Ben Ames Williams called it Fraternity Village, the Indians called it Quantabacook, and it is now known as Searsmont. Located in south-central Waldo County on the banks of the St. George River, Searsmont lies at the junction of several well-marked Indian trails. The town spreads over approximately 40 square miles. 

Today, Searsmont continues its lumbering heritage with Robbins Lumber Mill as the major industry. Population 1300.

 

Sommerville

Sommerville has a population of 548, many from families who settled in the 1800s; the rest moved here because they value the peace and privacy of small town life. The town is located about half an hour inland from the midcoast, close enough to access its many diversions, but far enough to escape the bustle.

South Thomaston

South Thomaston is a scenic peninsula community south of Rockland and Thomaston, and adjacent to Owls Head. It's comprised of three primary villages and several distinct sections: the town center, known locally as the "Keag" (pronounced "Gig") after the reversing tidal Weskeag River that flows through it; Spruce Head; and Spruce Head Island, a major lobstering port. Businesses include lodging facilities, a campground, seasonal cottage/vacation rentals, stores, art galleries, small shops, and oceanfront and open air seafood dining in the summer season.

St. George

Primarily a fishing and lobstering community, St. George is made up of several distinct villages—Clark Island, Wiley's Corner, Martinsville, Tenants Harbor, and Port Clyde. Although the harbor villages of Tenants Harbor and Port Clyde are the best known (and most visited), you'll find lodging establishments, dining facilities, art galleries, and small businesses all along the diverse and beautiful coastal town.

Port Clyde: at the end of the St. George peninsula on Route 131, a classic small Maine fishing village, devoted chiefly to lobstering—but also offering facilities for recreational boaters and tourists. Near its wharves, Port Clyde boasts a general store, shops, art galleries, restaurants, and a limited number of small lodging facilities. It's also where you catch the daily ferry to Monhegan Island. You'll find one of the most photographed places in our area a short distance from the village center: Marshall Point Light (made famous in the film “Forrest Gump”), which serves as a sentry at the entrance to the harbor. The former lightkeeper's house is now a historical museum open to the public in season.

Tenants Harbor: mid-way down the St. George peninsula on Route 131, is the administrative center of town. In a picturesque coastal setting, its well-protected harbor is home to both fishing boats and pleasure craft in season. The harbor is a favorite anchorage for yachts sailing along the Maine coast.

 

Thomaston

Thomaston, with its tree-lined streets and beautiful village green, overlooks the head of the St. George River Estuary. World-class yachts are built along the shore, and stately sea captains' homes grace nearly every block in the community. This year, the 175-year-old Maine State Prison has been razed, and the result is a fantastic view of the St. George below. The town is also the site of Montpelier, the replica of the home of George Washington's Secretary of War—General Henry Knox—now a living museum.

The biggest event of the year in Thomaston is its rousing Fourth of July celebration. A parade marches down Main Street during the day and fireworks brighten the night each year, as Thomaston hosts the primary Independence Day event in the Mid-Coast area.

Union

The town of Union lies about 15 miles west of Rockland on Route 17, at the center of Knox County's inland agricultural region. Union is noted for its blueberry fields, dairy farms, apple orchards, wood lots and sparkling lakes and ponds—a distinction it shares with the neighboring towns of Appleton, Hope, and Washington. With a backdrop of low coastal mountains, rolling hills, and quiet valleys, Union's charm extends to all seasons—but offers a special visual treat when its wooded hills and blueberry fields explode with color in fall. The Union Common provides a classic rural northern New England village setting with small businesses encircling a public green. Union is also the site of one of Maine's oldest agricultural fairs. Lodging accommodations include campgrounds and seasonal cottage/vacation rentals.

Vinalhaven

The Vinalhaven Chamber of Commerce welcomes you to this island community 15 miles off the coast—the largest of the 14 year-round island towns of Maine. The community takes pride in the natural beauty of the island, its multi-generational families, school, volunteer fire and emergency medical services, musical and theatrical talents, and its residents' neighborly way of looking out for each other. Followed closely by tourism, lobster fishing is the largest component of Vinalhaven's economy, with a diverse group of smaller businesses working to meet the needs of this active community. The village of Vinalhaven, located on the southern shore of the island, is the center of commercial activity.

Waldoboro

Waldoboro, situated along the banks of the Medomak River in eastern Lincoln County, is adjacent to Warren and bisected by U.S. Route 1, approximately 18 miles west of Rockland. The town center, which is several blocks away from Route 1, still retains the grace and charm of an earlier era. Waldoboro was once host to shipyards which launched fleets of schooners in the great age of sail; a well-preserved village reflects that early prosperity. The best place to learn about this seafaring, fishing and farming community - settled by Germans in the mid-1700s - is at the Waldoborough Historical Society Museum, just off Route One on Route 220 South (Main Street). Remnants of its early German heritage can be seen at the Old German Meeting House and Cemetery and at the local historical museum. Once noted for building large, multi-masted sailing vessels, Waldoboro is today a pleasant town with a number of agricultural, commercial, and industrial enterprises. Shops, stores, restaurants, the Waldo Theatre, and small lodging facilities may be found on U.S. Route 1 and in the town center.

Warren

Stretched between Waldoboro and Thomaston, Warren is a farming and rural community with a number of small industries and commercial establishments—principally along Route 1 and Route 90. You'll find the village center a few blocks away from both of those highways. Warren is home to several recreational lakes and ponds, campgrounds, and seasonal cottage/vacation rentals.

Washington

Washington, Maine, a rural town of 1525 inhabitants, lies along State Route 17 in the northwestern corner of Knox County, between the county seat in Rockland and the State Capital in Augusta. The Nelson family first built a log cabin here in 1797 and the first frame house was constructed in 1802. The town was incorporated in 1811 as "Putnam", named after General Israel Putnam, a revolutionary war hero. In 1825 the name was officially changed to Washington.

One early item of interest in Washington's history was the "paint mine". There was a large deposit of red and yellow ocher found in a cave, which may have been used by people who lived here three to five thousand years ago and who used large quantities of ocher, normally red, to cover both the bodies of the dead and the burial artifacts. Archaeologists refer to these people as "Red Paint People". The red panel at the hoist of the Official Town Flag refers to these people.

The town consists of small villages: Washington Village, West Washington, Razorville, and Stickney Corners. The wooded, rolling terrain is punctuated with newer houses found among 19th century farmsteads, open hayfields, and blueberry lands.